I am writing to share some tips to help you and your child stay healthy, as we are in the middle of the cold and flu season. To avoid getting sick or spreading illnesses, it is important to:
· Regularly wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds;
· Avoid unnecessarily touching your eyes, nose, or mouth after washing your hands;
· Cover your sneeze or cough with a tissue or sleeve, not your hand;
· Keep your child at home if she/he has a fever until she/he no longer has a fever for 24 hours (without the use of fever-reducing medications); and
· Staying home when you are sick, too.
I am also aware some parents have raised questions or concerns about the coronavirus (“2019-nCoV”) based on recent news reports. Please know that according to the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, there is no immediate public threat in Los Angeles at this time. The best thing you or your child can do to stay healthy is to follow the tips above.
To get the latest and most accurate information, visit the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health Website at http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/. You can also call LAUSD’s District Nursing Services at (213) 202-7575.
Thank you for helping to keep our kids healthy and safe.
Ibia Gomez, Principal
Plummer Elementary School