I want to welcome you and your students to my second grade classroom. My name is Ms. Amaya. I have been working here at Plummer since 1984. I have been a classroom teacher for 20 of those years, and prior to that I was a teacher’s assistant. I have taught first grade, IAS (Intensive Academic Support), and second grade. I love teaching because of the feeling of accomplishment seeing students grow in knowledge, confidence, and skills.
Here at Plummer, our curriculum is based on the California State Standards. A main focus in second grade will be in the subject areas of Language Arts and Mathematics. Below are some of the skills we will be concentrating on:
1. Students will learn how to increase their fluency and develop greater comprehension.
2. By the end of second grade, students will be able to write a basic story with a clear beginning, middle, and end.
3. Students will learn how to write a friendly letter.
4. Students will be able to edit and revise their writing to make it clearer.
5. Students will be able to correct errors in spelling, grammar, punctuation, and capitalization.
6. Students will increase their mastery of addition and subtraction facts to twenty.
7. Students will learn how to add and subtract whole numbers up to three digits.
8. Students will learn to solve more challenging word problems.
9. Students will increase their knowledge of measurement, geometric shapes, and time.
As is evident by some of the many skills that need to be mastered by the end of second grade, students will be encouraged to arrive at school on time and ready to be active leaners in my classroom.
If you need to contact me with any concerns or questions, please send a note with your child. You may also call the office to leave a verbal message. If it is more convenient, you may send me an e-mail by clicking on the link to the right. I will either send a written response with your child, contact you by phone during normal school hours, or I will return your email.